Why your CV is the most important step towards netting a great job
Wkipedia defines a Curriculum Vitae (CV) as: Curriculum vitae (CV) provides an overview of a person's life and qualifications. The CV is typically the first item that a potentialemployer encounters regarding the job seeker and is typically used to screen applicants, often followed by an interview, when seeking employment.
Various surveys show that employers form a first opinion about a person with the first few seconds of reading his CV!
Clearly, a CV is your first opportunity to impress a prospective employer and definitely the LAST before you are called for an interview! A CV today, is more than a depiction of the 'course of life' and is regarded more as your Professional Profile!
So, what are the best practices one should consider, while creating an impactful CV or a Professional Profile?
The answer to this question lies in answering many more questions to yourself (keep yourself in the shoes of an employer and think what are his information needs)
1. What are your areas of expertise that are relevant for this organization and the position.
2. What have been your measurable achievements that have relevance in this organization.
3. What is your career objective? (Demonstrate that over the years, you have been trending closer to achieving your objective- though acquisition of new skills, managing larger teams, managing complex work areas etc. Be sure that your career objectives are in consonance with the job description in this organization)
4. Present verifiable facts and sources wherever possible.
5. Qualifications and Certifications-
6. Correct grammar, no spelling errorsand concise format (restrict in 2 pages preferably, add more pages as appendix if need be)
Follow the above best practices and rest assured you will be able to impress a prospective employer in no time and can get a job in your desired field.